Click HERE for more information or to apply
Dept. Name: IT
Dept. #: 230
Job Code: RECMGTO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: T 15
Budget Accountability: 0
Reports to: VP, Chief Information Officer
People Supervised: 1
The Records Management Officer reports directly to the VP, Chief Information Officer. This position provides overall management and coordination of the Capital Metro Document and Records Management Program in accordance with the Texas Government Records Act. Responsible for all activities connected with the life cycle of records including the development and implementation of active physical/electronic filing systems; the preservation and storage and disposal of inactive records, assistance in controlling cost associated with physical/electronic creation, storage, and retrieval; and other aspects of records and electronic management as required. This role is also responsible for providing customer focused service and building positive and constructive relationships with stakeholders and customers, by understanding their needs, problems, and providing timely communication and service.
• Responsible for administering the agency’s Document and Records Management Program. Manage, monitor and track official physical/electronic records of any media throughout their life cycle: creation, active, inactive, and final disposition.
• Develop and conduct instructional programs and train employees in sound document, records and electronic management practices and the use of documentation and records management systems.
• Maintain and support records retention schedule and mandated records and electronic management policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal law and current best practices.
• Manage onsite/offsite records storage and related vendor contracts.
• Work as part of the Information Technology team to support the application of procedures for managing document and records management.
• Monitor collection and security of records and destruction of documents. Ensure standards for recordkeeping, filing, and classification of physical and electronic documents are met.
• Provide document and records systems support for non-technical issues.
• Administer inventory audits of physical and electronic records. Provide periodic updates and reports on the Records Management Program to the Manager, Legal and the Leadership team as needed.
• Serve as custodian of records for subpoenas and/or litigation.
• Analyze and evaluate records and electronic management throughout the agency and recommend cost effective improvement strategies.
• Stay current with archival, records management/records management technology, as well as, current legislation, and any other legal policy, which may impact agency records.
• Work with the Texas State Library & Archives Commission to promote and foster systematic and efficient records and electronic management initiatives.
• Perform other duties as required and/or assigned in support of the Capital Metro Strategic Goals and the IT Vision, Mission, and Objectives aligned to these goals.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Library/Information Science or related field. Related experience may substitute for education on a year for year basis up to four (4) years.
• Three (3) years progressively responsible experience in establishing records management programs, writing policies and procedures, evaluating automated records management systems, developing and conducting training on records management, and analyzing current program and systems; including experience in SharePoint, Open Text eDocs (Hummingbird), and Microsoft office preferred.
• Two (2) years of professional experience in at least three of the following specific areas of information management: the design and implementation of filing systems; imaging applications; reports management; archival appraisal; records center operations; automated information management systems; records inventory and appraisal; or retention scheduling
• A certification as a Certified Records Manager or active candidate for the Institute Certified Records Manager (ICRM) examinations preferred.
• Internet research experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge and ability to interpret local, state and federal guidelines affecting records and electronic management.
• Must have skills in creating taxonomies and evaluating complex customer needs.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, leadership, and strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work with all levels of management.
• Ability to work under limited supervision with latitude for initiative and independent judgment in applying procedures and guidelines to work activities.
• Knowledge of digital technologies, electronic imaging, micrographic, and emerging technologies that impact records management.
• Proficiency in the understanding of security and electronic file and directory services in a Windows network environment.
SECURITY SENSITIVE POSITION
This position is a “Security Sensitive” position. Capital Metro will conduct annual criminal background checks on incumbents in this position. A position is “Security Sensitive” if its incumbent handles currency, has access to sensitive computerized databases, has access to master keys, or works in an area of the Capital Metro that has been designated as a security-sensitive area.